Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Where There's a Will (#52Ancestors)

Ah, once again it's all in the meaning....  When I looked at this week's topic I, of course, thought of a will left after the death of a family member. But then I suddenly thought of another definition, a definition that refers to a person's strength, strength to do things that some of us may never thought could happen. What must it have been like, in those long ago years, to collect your families, your belonging and to leave behind a life you had always known. Perhaps be the person that leaves first, to make the way and hope that others you love will follow. That is the meaning of 'Where there's a will' I'd like to write about... some of the amazing people who played a part in our becoming the people we are today.

In my family there is not a lot of information about the "why' of why my maternal grandparents came to this country. They each came from Romania but not in the same years. I don't even know if the knew each other before they met here. My mgm is an example of the many young women who left their homes, their parents, their siblings to start a new life in this country. My pgm brought her youngest child, my father, and youngest daughter to start a new life here in the USA. Before that she had sent her other daughter, Bertha at age 16, to pave the way. Leaving meant leaving her sisters as well as the graves of two daughters and her husband. These are just two of the millions of our ancestors, strong willed men and women, who risked all they head to start, they hoped, new and better lives for themselves and their children.
My PGM, Dad, and Aunt
My MGM and PGF

I am not sure I could ever had the
will or been as strong and brave
as they were.
                   


                                                 











No comments: