Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Heirlooms Of The Future - License Plates? (#52Ancestors)

We are all familiar with the heirlooms that our ancestors have left behind. We are grateful for everyone of them. But what about our descendants. What will be leaving behind that our ancestors never even thought about? Perhaps someday there will be a state agency that will have collections of these artifact I have shown here? Where they will be able to find more information about the item where this heirloom was attached? What if someday, through a state agency... just like a census, you could learn what kinds of cars we all drove, how long we kept them and more. I very much doubt it will happen but I do want tickle your curiosity. Hope I have done so.True, I really do have more traditional heirlooms from the past but I'll save those for another ancestor or two in the weeks to come.


My grandchildren are of the age that they are moving into their own apartments. Nick, one of the 9 grandsons (and two granddaughters), asked for a particular item when decorating his first apartment. He asked if I had an older copy of my license plate. Personalized plates are indeed a part of our family cars. Illinois replaced the plates themselves this year so I was able to provide the one he asked to have. And it seemed a good idea to look at what an item that might be heirloom for tomorrow. So here is what this family can provide so far for Nick's wall.

My dad, Irv Greenfield, loved the idea of vanity plates. I think he was the first person I knew who had one. It was on many cars before he passed away in 1979. My mom kept that plate on her cars until she also passed away in 1991 and the plate passed on to one brother and then his son. Then it stopped being passed on. These are examples of changes over the years. Other collections might include Vanity plates from other states. My brother, three years younger than I, first had the top plate on the left. Later he changed to his initials. The state of Illinois chose the number. But it was the begining of name plates for our family members during the following years. In my own household we have two plates.


 No stories about the experiences of grandparents, or father, when they were young and the family lived in Romania.They never spoke of life in Iasi and the other towns. It is a blank space I will never be able to fill. At least I can tell some of my generations stories and hope they are told to those yet to come. My children, know the story behind this plate. I hope they will tell it to their children. They will also be able to figure out their grandfather's (greats, and on) occupation.




I must admit I do not have a picture collection of all of them.... yet.... but I am beginning to think it would be a fun to create such a set of images for those yet to come  who might enjoy then and the stories about them in years to come. And learn about our very strange spelling!




2 comments:

Libby Park Herman said...

What a great thing to pass down through the years. Maybe you should take a photo of the car for future generations. I'm sure it will seem very old fashioned to them. Who knows what vehicles they will be driving!

True Lewis said...

I have kept mine from every State I lived in being in the Army. This is fascinating! They are hanging in my Garage. I got the habit from my Dad and growing up going out to the barn. Great Post!