Saturday, January 27, 2018

My Definition of Longevity

This week the assignment was one word - longevity. I looked it up in Google. Google said or, I should say, Merriam-Webster online Dictionary defines longevity as "a long duration of individual life; length of life; long continuance : permanence, durability."  In this example I chose the "long continuance" definition.

Perhaps that appealed to me because of something I heard many years ago. You are alive as long as someone remembers you." I suppose writes about you counts as well.  Photos are good examples being 'introduced' to a family member by someone who did know them. I especially like the two examples I am sharing today. Two weddings, my brother, Michael, and his bride, Rochelle's wedding in 1963 andd at daughter Jody's (Larry)  wedding receptions in 1988. At each of these occasions we were fortunate to be able to have a four generation picture taken. 


This first picture was taken in 1963. In the is picture I am with my mother Sally, my daughter Caren and my grandmother Fannie, four women  from the Segall family line. My grandmother was born in Romania. The other three of us were born in Chicago and my daughter and I were born at the same hospital. And one step more.. my mother and I used the same obstetrician.  My grandmother lived to be 72 years old.

The second four generation picture was taken at daughter, Jody's wedding to Larry, her groom. In this picture are my mother who lived to be 83, myself, my son David, and his son Adam. 

Now the years have passed and we have had one more wedding. Grandson, Adam, seen in picture on the left married his love, Moira. The ceremony was performed by his dad, seen holding a small Adam in this image. There were only three generations seen in their wedding photos. But if you visit "Sally's Wedding Ring: A Bridge to Her Descendants" you will know that Granma Sally was at this wedding as well, at least in spirit.



























www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ definition of longevity

No comments: