Monday, November 13, 2017

There is organization & then there is ORGANIZATION!


Yes, deciding to begin this mammoth project using Ben Sayer's system was the right choice. The only problem is that BEFORE you begin all previously collected records should be in an orderly fashion! BIG SHOCK!  I am not certain but I do think there is a chance that I am the Queen of the Duplicates! I thought I was doing well just collecting all the documents about each family. Not so.


I am now in the process of putting all family materials together, getting rid of duplicates, listing what is missing, figuring where to find the missing materials and on and on. This process has raised more questions then answers but, I must admit, we are moving in the right direction. I am trying to develop steps that will allow me to combine these two organizational goals. But real questions are arising.  Throughout this entry and the following entries I will be sharing my developing process. Hopefully those who read this entry and are also creating their own process will share their ideas and struggles while solving these organizational issues. That way I, and readers of this blog, can learn from each other.

I happen to use a Mac. Ben Sayer's series is also available for PC users.  Following Ben Sayer's format I have created My Family History Folder and inside of that I have begun to create the recommended series of folders. The next folders within the My Family History folder are the Places and Surnames Folders. These are the two I have created so far. Within the Surnames folder I have entered my first two family names, Greenfield and Segall. Those are my dad's name and my mother's maiden name.  So what to do next? My logic suggested to me that I start with census records. That was where the first question arose.
Ancestry
Family Search
Do I use the full census page only or do I also include the single person sheet one often finds on the web as well? If I use the Census page which provides data on all family members, what to do with the other? Delete it? I have all the information I need on the full page? Is there any reason to have both of these sources?  I know that I will be making an alias to of the Census listing to be kept in each family member's individual folder. Certainly that must be enough....... I think.

And then I look at all the information contained and ask myself more questions.. Self, If you have all of this information on the family and it is all (when complete, ha!) in this place, why do I need an online family tree? And, furthermore, why do I need all of the information in a program such as Family Tree Maker or another like it?

Then my mental meandering continues a step further. Oh, my gosh, how will I ever integrate family photos, newspaper clippings, birth certificates? I am making the assumption they will go into individual family member folders. Does that mean group photos will require an alias in each person's folder? Then I continue my mental conversation.. Self, you do not know how to include a group photo in FTM! Is it even possible?

So here I am. Only at the beginning, really trying to get things in place for the person that will, someday, take over for me. I wonder if anyone has really completed this process. I am in awe of those that are even close.



No comments: