Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I can't imagine a life without the pleasure of reading.

I should start by saying I don't believe reading isn't only with the eyes. I have loved  listening to Books on Tape longer than I care to admit. I also don't believe it has to be books in traditional format. I love good magazines, newspapers, ebooks and now I own a Kindle.  Don't you think most of us that love reading have been that way all our lives? I kinda' do think that.

Even though I was a children's librarian at one point in my checkered career I must say that I love chicklit, mystery/detective books, current best sellers, any good book on digital scrapping, using technology tools and great web sites and blogs.  I do however give myself permission to read at this time in my life following what my mom said in her later years. She always said, " I am old enough that I do not have to read the 'should of read' books". Soo I freely admit to never having read the Russian authors and many of the classics. I read my first Jane Austen book two years ago.

But I have found one new reading joy that must be shared with the world - at least the world of women who love reading. Minnesota Women's Press, Inc. publishes a 7" X 8.5"  26 or 27 page publication six times a year. It is called bookWOMEN: A Readers' community for those who love women's words.  Reviews of many books by women from the women who have read them. Two women, Glenda Martin and Mollie Hoben, are the reader-writers behind this treasure. All who join are encouraged to write about their reading, their reading groups and the meaning of books in their lives.  Glenda and Mollie lead many book groups over the year.  Having participated in one of their Readers' Retreats in Green Valley, Arizona I can tell you it was probably the most exciting book related experience I have every had. More on that at another time.

At the end of the retreat or book year each group selects their own best books of the year. Mollie and Glenda create a publication called THE GREAT BOOKS because women say so! Each book is briefly reviewed and it is a great resource as you search for new authors and books.  I hope you will go to http://tinyurl.com/bookwomen and learn more about Bookwomen. I think it is the greatest gift I can share with you.

In the December 2009-January 2010 issue one of set of reviews was written by Carol St. John, a BookWomen subscriber and an author. In closing her article she wrote a few sentences that really provide a wonderful image of what reading is all about. I hope she will approve my quoting her words.


"When I read a lot, I become a better reader. I know what works for me and what I want to eliminate. There is not enough time to read nonsense. The world of books wants us to know more about life and subjects we can't even fathom. I am so grateful for those writers who are willing to take us there".    From Books met on the road by Carol St. John. bookWOMEN, vol. 14, No. 2, p.5



No comments: