Saturday, July 6, 2013

Postal Reading Challenge 2013

What will I read for this new challenge? That is the question. I do have the anwer. I have selected the four books I want to finish and blog about before the end of December for this challenge. As a newby to this challenge I really want to be more successful than I was with my last challenge attempt. This time I have signed up for The Postcard Level. This means I only have to read four books to achieve my goal... and, YEAH, rereads do count.  Here are the four books I have chosen.

And if you want to read more about this challenge you can do so by clicking here

1. The Law Giver by Herman Wouk. I have enjoyed his books in the past and had never heard of this one. At the GoodReads website I found this description and more. "For more than fifty years, legendary author Herman Wouk has dreamed of writing a novel about the life of Moses. Finally, at age ninety-seven, he has found an ingeniously witty way to tell the tale in The Lawgiver, a romantic and suspenseful epistolary novel about a group of people trying to make a movie about Moses in the present day. The story emerges from letters, memos, e-mails, journals, news articles, recorded talk, Skype transcripts, and text messages."   
As someone who has been involved with technology tools much of my professional life this seemed like a perfect fit.

2. Empty Without You: The Intimate Letters of Eleanor Roosevelt and Lorena Hickok Edited by Rodger Streitmatter.  Again, a book I had never heard of. In fact, I am not even sure how it ended up on my dining room table!! I have long admired Eleanor Roosevelt, had seen the new movie on the family, and thought this might being another side of the difficult life Eleanor lived in her marriage.

3. Dying to Meet You by Kate Klise.  Although along the way I had been a children's librarian this book was also new to me. Young adult books have always been a pleasure to read. Some are often better as adult books than YA abooks - think The Book Thief.  It is a book about an author that has run into a tough spot in his writing. That is all I know for now.

4. The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. Full Disclosure - this is a reread. I loved it so the first time I read it I want to go back and savour is again. OHHH, bad joke.

In order for you, dear blog-reader, to know more about each book I have linked them back to GoodReads. If you are a reader and not a member of this group, I am sure you will thank me for the introduction.  Now, how did I make this decisions that  I made? First let me say I had a wonderful time in the process. Before this challenge, I did not know that 'Epistolary Fiction' subject heading. I had a wonderful time reading about great books that I hope there will be time to read along the way. I did know that there are many booklist available by searching the web. These booklist also tend to introduce you to many Book Blogs along the way.  I had a great experience in this search. Now, if any of you out there in reader-land, know how to add several more days to each week, please share your secret with me.

More about these books to follow in the coming months.

1 comment:

Melwyk said...

Welcome to the Postal Reading Challenge! I've only read the Guernsey book out of all your picks, and it is SO worth a reread :) Hope you'll have fun with this challenge!